Thursday, September 29, 2011

economic home front

My sister asked me about the economy last week.  At first I forgot what time period I was living in so I was about to tell her about the economy of classical greece in contrast with the ideal "republic" that Plato wrote about, which took me 27 hours to read then I realized that I live in 2011AD not 389BCE.

Some say we're going into a double dip recession.
Some say the Fed and Obama are ridiculous in the way they annul one another's policies.
Some say America is addicted to __________ (oil, money, fame, technology, accessibility, "the good life.")


I would agree with any of those statements. I love the United States of America.  I am so very thankful for the freedom(s) that I enjoy because I am a citizen of this great country.  

But I came across a statement today and for some reason it has been ringing in my ear all day:

“Homes must once again become places of production if they are to provide alternatives to the global economic forces that form us into consumers.”
-a thought from Wendell Berry

No comments:

Post a Comment