Monday, April 11, 2011

Old. Used. Worn.

I love things that have a story- You know, the things that you own that aren't worth anything to anyone else because they've become old, used, and worn.  When you come to think of it, those old, used, and worn things have done exactly what they were intended to do.  They've served their purpose and stood the test of time.
That old pair of shoes that you have literally done everything in. They've been faithful for many morning runs, afternoon shopping sprees, and evening gardening.  Or my personal favorite- a good book that you've recommended to several friends over the years and now boasts bent corners and torn pages.

"Newness is no virtue and oldness is no vice.  Truth and beauty and goodness are not determined by when they exist.  Nothing is inferior for being old, and nothing is valuable for being modern."  (J.Piper)

To me the true beauty in antiquity is the perseverance behind it.  Paul says in his final letter to Timothy, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful."  I can picture Timothy holding this letter in his shaking hands, rereading that sentence over and over, tears of joy flowing down his face.  This was a letter from his closest companion and friend.  Paul, was in prison and coming to his final days on earth.  He was reassuring Timothy that everything he had shared with him about Jesus Christ and Him crucified was still the same thing he was preaching even in prison, on death row.  Paul wanted Timothy to know that the gospel they were preaching, was and always would, stand the test of time and not even death could nullify that.  He led by example and encouraged Timothy to persevere and to be faithful to his calling.  He was to become old, used, and worn for the sake of the gospel just as Paul so beautifully had done before him.  When you come to think of it all they were doing was exactly what they were intended or created to do: "Take up their cross and follow Him."

I am encouraged by their story tonight.  I want to become old, used, and worn.  I want to do exactly what I was created to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment